Have you ever felt awkward about getting a massage because you didn’t know what to expect? I think a lot of people feel that way the first time they get a massage, or the first time they get a massage from a new person. Here is what you can expect from your massage therapist:
- The environment should be clean, safe and comfortable before, during and after the massage
- Respect, courtesy, confidentiality and compassion
- Privacy while changing along with the option to remove clothing only to your level of comfort for the massage
- Draped appropriately by a sheet, towel or blanket, with only the area being massaged exposed
- A licensed/registered/certified professional massage therapist, working within their scope of practice and in an ethical manner
- Option to ask questions of the massage therapist and receive professional responses before during, and after the massage
- Music, white noise, or silence
- Conversation only when and if you feel like it – the one exception to this would be if a technical question was necessary to provide you with the best technique
- Clear explanation of the nature of the massage and techniques to be used
- The opportunity to consent to the massage techniques and approaches, to specify the amount of pressure you prefer, ask for a different amount of pressure at any time or stop the session if you become uncomfortable with anything.
What does your Massage Therapist expect from you?
- Please arrive on time for your appointment
- If you need to cancel or reschedule please provide at least 24 hours notice.
- If you have to cancel at the last minute, please pay for the appointment without complaint. Remember – we make a living by keeping our calendar full, last minute cancellations are a loss of income that we usually have no chance to make up.
- Remember that we are licensed professionals and do not appreciate inappropriate advances.
- Please show up prepared to pay for your visit – you might be surprised at how many people forget this detail!
- If you want extras like hot stones, please be sure to request them when you schedule so we can have them prepared for you.
- While we love to have conversation with you, remember that we are at work & usually have another session scheduled after yours.
- Please give good constructive feedback so that we can get to know you and your body and do a better job each time you come in for a massage.
Have I covered it? If you have any thoughts or additions please leave a comment.
By Kathy Casey